Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Background:

I was reading the interview transcript of our CEO in the Wall Street Journal and decided that "[h]ey he seems really down to earth and willing to communicate with the younger generation; maybe he'll come speak on his leadership attributes..."

So I wrote a e-mail but held back from sending it because I thought about it again; is this a CLM?! I finally said what the heck, take the risk, and I sent the e-mail. I got an e-mail back! This is what he said...

_____________________________________________
David: Thanks for contacting me. Sounds like REACH is a great program---I applaud your leadership role in it! I've got a lot of invites, and it's hard to chose without being unfair. So, let me add it to the list and we'll see if it can work sometime in the future. Best, Jim

_____________________________________________
From:
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:30 PM
To:
Subject: WSJ Interview & REACH

Good Morning Mr. McNerney!

I recently read your interview, “Piloting Boeing’s New Course,” in the WSJ and one comment you made really spoke to me; you mentioned “there’s one of me [Jim McNerney] and there’s 160,000 Boeing employees I’ve got to work with. They’ve got to know that that’s more important to me than public forums where I’m making big speeches or doing every interview that comes my way.”

I’m currently a core team (leadership team) member for a Boeing group in Washington State called REACH (Regional Events and Activities for College new Hires). As part of my role as a Lunch and Learn/Professional Development Co-Lead I help develop and schedule events to promote growth, education, and career/self development.

We had a “Brown Bag” Lunch & Learn session with Alan Mulally last year and we’d like to get our new company CEO to speak about leadership if you have the time?

We’ll take care of all the logistical information. Please let us know if this is something you are available to do. Thanks!
_____________________________________________


This is one of most impressive things I've come to realize working at this awesome company; the people in high level leadership positions are accessible and open to new ideas and people! I'm really impressed today with our new CEO, that's my own personal opinion.

No comments: